Monday 24 March 2014

Sincerely, The Breakfast Club

Things got a bit heavy in the wee hours of this morning so I thought I'd give you a double whammy and end today on a much lighter note!

Today marks the 30 year anniversary of that fateful Saturday at Shermer High School where a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess and a criminal came together for detention, thus creating The Breakfast Club.

breakfast club1



I took media studies up to A-level and I loved every second of it. Film is one of my keen interests and for me, The Breakfast Club is one of the classics! I love the way this film throws together characters from every common clique at school and I hate to break it to those living in La La Land, but those cliques exist even in the UK.

A brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Each others polar opposite, the film follows the group throughout their Saturday detention, showing beautifully how their differences cause friction and their similarities create the most unlikely bonds.

breakfast club3

When I was at school, I marched to my own beat and was probably considered a cross between the basket case and the criminal (not for the crime but more for the attitude towards the Princess!). It shocks me to think that if we stripped away all the peer pressure to fit in and be popular we would have more diverse school societies, but because school success is based on money, looks and popularity, it will never happen. That makes me quite sad.

Either way I love this film and it will remain a staple in my DVD collection along with The Goonies, Princess Bride, and The Labyrinth (because who doesn't love David Bowie)...

Have you got any favourite 80s movies? I could go on to list many more but instead, why don't you guys drop me some of your top films in the comments below! :D

breakfast club2

No comments:

Post a Comment