Monday 26 September 2011

Inspiration and All That Jazz!

So I was thinking today about the Run To The Beat half marathon and all the lovely women who completed it! I thought about how amazing they are for being able to do that, having the courage and discipline, all the training they went through in order to take part and how I currently could never do something so amazing... Or could I?




I've also been thinking a lot about an old teacher of mine, Alison, who has become a really good friend. She is moving to Australia tomorrow and I can't help but feel nervously excited for her! When I think about all she has overcome in her life and what she has achieved, I find it truly incredible what an amazing person she really is. Many would have crumbled and many would have given up but Ali is still going, facing hurdle after hurdle and challenging life head on. This year was difficult for me, with all my friends moving away doing all the things I should have been doing, and without those days where I'd walk into class and Ali made it feel like I got up for a reason, or generally just made me laugh, I know I'd have given up! I know that when there were problems at home I could talk to her or if I was feeling down she would be there. The more I found out about her, the more I sat in awe of her, thinking; how can one woman have done so much at such a young age?! It wasn't until I was revising for my exams that it suddenly hit me: if I was going to grow up and be like anyone in the world, I'd be like Ali Edgar. Someone who has her problems, but deals with them. Someone who knows what she wants and goes for it. Someone who knows who she is and isn't afraid to face new challenges. Someone who inspires others to march to their own beat, to not be afraid of being themselves and that with hard work and determination, you can do whatever you want to do, be whoever you want to be. Without that inspiration, I'm not exactly sure where I'd be right now or exactly who I'd be... But I know that where I'm headed will lead to great things and I'm on this path because of the guidance I got from Ali. Because of her,I know the kind of person I want to be!
So now it will come as no surprise to you that after my bachelors at uni I'l be training to be a teacher; not the best paid job- true, but if I can inspire just ONE person the way I've been inspired then what better payment could there be? To know I've made that much of a difference to just one student, will make me the richest in the world.

And now, with a whole new country to tackle I really wish Ali all the best of luck in Oz! And to all those who ran the half marathon today, I thank, for inspiring me to get off my butt and get fit and make a change!! =D

Thank you all x

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou so much! For what it's worth, you were well worth getting up for yourself! You'll be amazing at uni and one day, you'll be an inspiring, brilliant and understanding teacher! I'm soooo proud of you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. aha well I couldn't have done it without you and I thought, seeing as Oz are lucky enough to get you now, that you deserved to know just what a difference you made to me! =) xx

    ReplyDelete