Saturday 15 October 2011

The Stride of Pride (not the drunken one!)

Today I received an email telling me that my beautiful beautiful Nike trainers had been dispatched, which means they will be with me by next week!! Not only that but I invested in some running capris and full length joggers (for badminton and volleyball) from Next today and will be donning my new gear tomorrow after mid-day.





The excitement of all of this, the prospect of wearing something new for my exercise, and the surge of motivation it has given me: sure today when I went for my jog on campus I looked like crap in cut off joggers and a baggy tee shirt, but I will soon have my babies AND new running clothes... Not only will I look like a runner, but I will FEEL more like a runner and that in itself gives me inspiration and hope that running is actually a hobby I envision myself doing.

I realise now that after 3 years of not jogging, I'm never going to be as fit as I was back then. So running is going to take at least 4 weeks to take an effect on my body but I will persevere as I have already imagined the look on my face after I complete my first successful run! Sad but true!

Now OBVIOUSLY to become a good runner I don't need to be faffing about with my accessories like keys, change and my mp3 player. So, I bought me a pair of new headphones (my lovely blue ones are wearing up a little now, but I can now accessorize with 2 colours) in GREEN and an armband with a pocket on it for me to put my mp3 player, keys, phone etc etc!

Running with a Rainbow!

Also, I've invested in "Zest: Running Made Easy (Zest Magazine)" @ZESTmagazine which has LOADS of tips for beginners, how to eat properly, good warming up exercises and how to be the best runner you can. For me, I am a complete novice at running really so to learn about the nutrition best for runners, how to increase my stamina and what the different techniques used in running are!

I got mine from Amazon.co.uk for about £4.00, so for me it was worth investing in-- especially as I can't afford to buy health and fitness magazines every couple of weeks (they're pretty expensive you know!)... But like I said, I'm serious about running. I used to run for stress relief and to tire me out so my insomnia wasn't so bad but now I want the enjoyment of achieving a run, the endorphin's it provides (yes I'm aware that I now sound like a junkie!) and I want to have confidence. I want to achieve a STRIDE OF PRIDE!!!

So yeah! Any tips you want to share with me and other novice runners, feel free to comment below! :)

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Shaw xx15 October 2011 at 00:36

    Woohoo! Stride of Pride! I remember the morning you used that expression (and the night before)! Hope the new gear gets here soon, badminton and volleyball wont know whats hit em.... and oh you might like to no that Zenonas is in the mens volleyball we saw him playing the other day! LOL
    Hows the running going? campus is flippin hard to run on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I made it round the lake.. Just! =P Zenonas as in the very lovely greek friend needing all the food?! =O Now I'm running every day! xD hehehe
    Oh yes that was the drunken stride of pride... formerly known as the walk of shame! But we will take pride in all that we do and not put ourselves down! ;)
    Ahh I actually cannot wait to get back into badminton.. I used to be quite good, especially after being taught by Ali's husband!! He's crazy good at it!! =D

    ReplyDelete