Thursday 23 August 2012

Don't Call Me a SLUT!!!

So in light of the Assange case and terms such as "Legitimate Rape" being thrown around recently, the gals of the world feel it's time to unite once again on what is known as a Slut-walk.

Everyone hates you because you're such a slut!

Now I know that George Galloway is a prize prat and thinks it's okay to rape women but not everyone does-- hence the slut walk. But forgive me if I'm wrong but haven't we all seen that trashy girl hitting on everyone's boyfriend (and sometimes their girlfriends!) and remarked that she's "such a slut!"? Yeah I thought you had!



I'm just going to say it: I will NEVER take part in one of these Slut-Walk things! I love what they stand for; that women have the right to wear what they want, when and where they want without the fear that some monster will see it as an invite! However, I am somewhat of a feminist and I refuse to take part in something with a title which degrades women. I understand it's supposed to be ironic but let's face it; the term "slut" is normally used in conjunction with someone who is "easy" and promiscuous. It gives the idea that the women taking part in the walk are actually SLUTS and are stereotypically dressing like one! It invites in the complete opposite to what the walk stands for: that women dressed in skimpy clothing are sluts. Which isn't true!

I'm sorry but I just don't believe calling these events SLUT WALKS is getting the right message across!! It is true that calling each other sluts just makes it okay for others to call us the same, thus leading on to a slippery slope of assuming you have the reputation of a slut... For those of you lacking on the ACTUAL definition of the SLUT take a little looksie:

1.        a. A person, especially a woman, considered sexually promiscuous.
            b. A woman prostitute.

2. A slovenly woman; a slattern.


Still think the Slut-Walk term is a great idea? Not so much for me I'm afraid!

I believe 100% in what these walks actually stand for and will fight for womens right to wear whatever they want, hell I'll even lead the crusade to 10 Downing Street where we can stand and burn our bras (just not the nice ones from La Senza and M&S!)... But for God's sake STOP using degrading and disrespectful terms in reference to us women to get your point across!!


Why can't we call the walks something that portrays women as STRONG, and CONFIDENT and EQUAL!! Because essentially that's what we want people to believe: We are strong enough to accept our feminity, we have the confidence to show it off and should have the same equal rights as any woman wearing whatever she wants, whether it be a mini skirt or a pair of slouchy jeans!!


So do us ALL a favour... Stop calling each other a slut! ;)


1 comment:

  1. How original! I appreciate your sarcasm though! xD

    ReplyDelete